Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Calculator (The story of my trip to Burlington, MA)

As some of you heard on twitter today, I went to Burlington, MA for a training event at work. It was a pretty good event with plenty of food and the promise of a prize for those who could answers questions at the end. Like any other perpetually broke person, I was excited for the chance to get something for free. That included a free lunch, which also made it a poor choice for me to go to the Chick-fil-A at the Burlington Mall... so I didn't go (refer to the tweet).

Anyway... back to the point. I was anxious to answer a question at the end of the training so that I could reap the benefits of paying attention all day long. The first question was impossible, so I didn't raise my hand. The second question was a little more realistic and my hand rapidly flung up in the air as if I had channeled the 4th grade version of myself. I confidently... and correctly answered the question and was rewarded the 1st prize.

It was a calculator.

I tried not to look outwardly disappointed but I'm sure a smirk flashed across my face. After we were dismissed, I put it with my things and headed for home.

When I got home, Mitchell greeted me with his usual enthusiasm. It's a joy that can't be explained until your 2 year old runs up to you, hugs your leg and yells, "My daddy's home!" I started to look for a place to put my things down; Mitchell followed me to the couch, with Landon looking on from his spot on the floor. Mitchell asked what has now become a very common question, "... This is...?" (interpretation: What is this?) I showed Mitchell and Landon my new calculator. The wonder and amazement was over the top. "A Calculator!.... WOW!" In an effort to keep things equal, I actually handed it to Landon first. He didn't say anything, but he did grab onto it with his unusually strong, 9 month old hands as if to say, "I love this calculator!"

The calculator was free. The reaction was priceless. These are the invaluable moments available in parenthood no matter how broke you think you are.

(Plus... the calculator situation reminded me of this SNL skit from last year. Check it out!)

1 comment:

Erin Mary said...

I love how the boys are always so excited to see you walk in the door- calculator in hand, or not. The smile on their faces(and mine:) is priceless...
p.s. Good job answering the question correctly, I would totally give you an A.